Alternative Transportation Options When It's Time to Quit Driving
If you have reached an age where it’s time to stop driving, do not dismay about the loss of independence. We live in a time where there are many affordable transportation options. Take a look at the list and find which one would work for you!
5 Alternative Transportation for Seniors
1. Rideshare Options: You can call an Uber or Lyft to get you to the grocery store, out to the mall for gift shopping, or to a doctor’s appointment. The prices are affordable, and you can even split the bill with a friend who needs to go to the same place.
2. Bus: Learn the city’s bus routes and find out if it makes sense for you to take the bus to your favorite places. Make each outing fun, looking to make new friends with people who ride the bus with you.
3. Bike: If your stores and medical offices are within a few miles, it can be sensible to take up bike riding. Use the proper safety equipment and start with short distances. And then slowly increase the distance until you are ready to find independence in biking to the store and appointments.
4. Trade of Services: It may feel looming to ask for help, but it isn’t so difficult when you have confidence in what you have to offer. Speak with the neighbors and offer piano or sewing lessons in exchange for a ride to the doctor’s office each week. You can teach a teenager how to cook or mentor a family member with gardening.
5. Senior Volunteer Ride Programs: Take advantage of the services that are offered in your community. Many people happily sign up with Senior Call-and-Ride programs to help the senior members of their community. Use the services and get to know your volunteers.
It may feel like a loss of independence when you have to give up driving. But if you reframe the sentiment, you will see that you can still practice autonomy with your current life situation. Take pride in what you have to offer as you find new ways to get around.
At Greenwald & Gerke, we want you to look at aging as a wonderful time, with many memories still waiting to be made. Give us a call to learn how to set goals and achieve them! Call today: (844) 782-9674.
Monday, August 2, 2021
SRES Marketplace August Newsletter Contributed Article by By Elyse Umlauf-Garneau
Wednesday, July 28, 2021
Solar scams have become a favorite of current con artists, with seniors often being their favorite prey. *First published in the Professional Fiduciary Association of California (PFAC) Newsletter