Senior Safety Tips for Staying Cool in the Heat of the Summer
As the summer heats up, you may find yourself indoors, protecting yourself from the heatwave. There are ways you can enjoy the outdoors during the summer while still staying safe.
5 Tips for Seniors to Stay Cool This Summer
You may have block parties, tennis tournaments, and grandchildren’s sports games to attend over the summer. You don’t have to skip all of them. There is a way to choose wisely and practice precautions while out in the summer heat:
1. Get out in the morning and evening. Before the sun starts to heat up and beat down, get out for morning walks every morning. Breathe in that fresh air and start your day out with exercise. You may have to wake up earlier than usual to beat the heat, but a power nap in the heat of the afternoon can make up for it.
2. Drink lots of water. Even if you aren’t in direct heat, it is imperative to drink lots of water during the summer months. You can use a 40 oz water bottle and try to drink at least 2 full bottles per day to guarantee you do not get dehydrated.
3. Bring an umbrella to block the sun. If you have to be out in the sun when it is scorching hot outside, protect yourself from the direct rays with an umbrella. Drop into an afternoon soccer game and come prepared with an umbrella to bring the shade with you.
4. Wear appropriate clothing and sunblock. Wear short sleeves and shorts to stay ventilated. And because you have exposed skin with warm weather clothes, do not forget sunblock. You can use a daily facial sunblock and always remember to apply it to your neck, ears, arms, and legs when you are out and about.
5. Carry a fan with a mister. You can find a variety of rechargeable fans on the market. Many have a built-in spray bottle where you can mist yourself with water and turn the fan toward yourself to cool down. A fan comes in handy in hot weather situations!
Live your life this summer while practicing safe outdoor heat precautions. When you are prepared, you won’t have to miss out on life memories.
At Greenwald & Gerke, we want to celebrate your golden years and help you make lasting memories. Contact our team, and we can talk about how to set goals and achieve them! Call today: (844) 782-9674.
Monday, August 2, 2021
SRES Marketplace August Newsletter Contributed Article by By Elyse Umlauf-Garneau
Wednesday, July 28, 2021
Solar scams have become a favorite of current con artists, with seniors often being their favorite prey. *First published in the Professional Fiduciary Association of California (PFAC) Newsletter
Wednesday, July 21, 2021
If you have reached an age where it’s time to stop driving, do not dismay about the loss of independence. We live in a time where there are many affordable transportation options. Take a look at the list and find which one would work for you!